The annual Clowns’ Church Service, also known as the Grimaldi Service, is held on the first Sunday in February. The service sees costumed clowns from across the country gather to commemorate Joseph Grimaldi and other deceased clowns.
Grimaldi was buried in St James’ Episcopal Chapel’s burial ground, which is now known as Joseph Grimaldi Park. A special Clowns’ Service was first held at the park in 1946. In 1959 the annual Clowns’ Service moved to the Holy Trinity Church in Dalston, and the church soon became known as the Clowns’ Church. A museum displaying clown memorabilia including props, photographs and costumes is located at the back of the church.
Holy Trinity Church, 7 February 1982
The service has now been moved to Haggerston.